Friday, February 13, 2009

A Ringing Endorsement of IKEA Frozen Food Totes.

On a visit to IKEA a few weeks ago I purchased an insulated reusable grocery tote. The insulated grocery bags I had until now were mylar and foam and although they last a couple of years if you care for them well, they are still going to be in a landfill for ages. The top closes but the edges must be folded in when you close them or it doesn't completely seal. Sometimes the movement of the car is enough to open them up if you've stuffed them very full, too. They had only a hard plastic handle, no shoulder straps. So while they did serve a purpose, I wasn't all that impressed with them overall.

When I saw IKEA had a nice fabric version with a zipper I grabbed one. Now I'm sorry I didn't pick up more. IKEA isn't close to home so I don't go very often. I'll have to put the word out to family and friends to pick me up a few if they go before I do. As if the bag wasn't sturdy enough to get me excited, it also has interior pockets. I do love organization. It holds a good amount of food, zips securely shut and has two nice, wide straps that can be used for carrying by hand but also work over the shoulder, which makes my day.

But the point of today's ringing endorsement is to tell you that I stuffed the bag full from Trader Joe's this afternoon. When I got in the door, I pulled out the ice cream, put it in the freezer then zipped the bag back up again because I had to run to do something quickly. About ninety minutes later my daughter came in and noticed the bag still on the kitchen floor where I'd lost track of it. I thought she put everything away, but apparently there wasn't enough room in the freezer and I again got sidetracked when she told me I needed to come rearrange things so they would fit (I am known as the packing ninja here, I can make nearly anything fit anywhere) and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the couch where I'd fallen asleep unexpectedly. Wandering to the kitchen for some water I discovered the bag, still sitting there, half full and zipped shut, eight hours after I walked in the door with it.

You could knock someone unconscious with the burrito tray, it is still frozen so solid! I wish I could find a link to them on their site but I don't see the totes there and a search brings up no good results. I'm THRILLED with how well they work. If you're at IKEA you want to pick up at least one. And while you're there could you grab me another three?

1 comment: