Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tasty Thursday: Sweet Red Lentils and Rice

Another easy crockpot recipe.  I got my inspiration here.

Into my crockpot I tossed:

2 1/2 cups red lentils (1lb. bag)
4 cups liquid (I used 1/2 cup orange juice, the rest water.  Would have used a whole cup OJ if I'd had it.)
1 tsp. powdered ginger, organic
1 heaping teaspoon dried local garlic flakes
4 Tbsp. local honey
A good shot of Bragg's Liquid Aminos
2/3 cup rice, uncooked

Turned the pot on Low and let it sit for four hours.  If I hadn't been sleeping I might have taste tested it and turned it off a little earlier.  The rice started to get a little gummy, but overall I'd rather have that than crunchy, undercooked rice.

It came out quite tasty!  Hubby added a little margarine to his, which made me want to try that too, but I prefer it just straight out of the crockpot.  Each of us had two bowls and there is some left for folks to take to work for lunch if they'd like.


1 comment:

  1. I love the versatility of lentils. Being a veggie this recipe is right up my ally. Thanks for sharing.