Thursday, March 25, 2010

Tasty Thursday: Gluten-Free Vegan spoonbread

This recipe was adapted from one I googled when I had the whim to make cornbread. The consistency is more of a spoonbread, fluffy and moist, so although it wasn't what I was looking for at the time it is something I enjoyed and will make again.

Set oven for 425F.

Bring 6 Tb water to a boil in a small pan. Add 2 Tb flaxseed. I used the flax with added blueberry from Trader Joe's. That added a color element to the finished product but didn't add any taste. I'd kind of been hoping for a hint of blueberry. If color is important to you, you'll want to try something else.

Lower heat, continue to cook, stirring occasionally until thickened, about three minutes. Set aside.




Mix together:
1 C gf flour mix I used Bob's Red Mill mixed with a little Soyquick; it was what was on hand.
1 C cornmeal
1/4 C sugar
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp finely ground sea salt



To dry mixture add:
Thickened flax
1 C non dairy milk I used almond, our preferred milk.
1/4 cup oil I used corn, again because it was what was on hand.
3/4 to 1 C frozen corn kernels




Coat cast iron pan with vegetable spray, turn batter into pan, cook for about 25 minutes then set out to cool.



The texture is a little grittier than I personally care for but the consistency is perfect for spoonbread. So nice and tasty with a little Earth Balance. Next time out I'm going to add some onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment