Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tasty Thursday: Zucchini Corn Fritters

A bonus item at the farm last week was a HUGE zucchini. It reminded me of the gigantic ones my grandpa used to grow. Miss you, Grandpa! Wish you could have tried our fritters with us.

So, it seems that after grating up one cup of zucchini for the zucchini bread recipe my daughter and I modded to make GF/vegan we still had three cups of zucchini left over. I searched our CSA's website and found a recipe for zucchini corn fritters. Here is our modified version:

Egg replacer to equal 3 eggs
3 cups zucchini
2 cups corn
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped purplette onions
1 cup all purpose GF flour mix
1 1/2 cups Daiya mozzarella (we had planned to use Daiya cheddar but when I got the bag out I saw mold. :( )
A little freshly grated pepper


We rarely fry anything so the thought of a fried treat was really appealing to my daughter. But I also wanted to try them baked in my cast iron corn bread pan.


Don't they look yummy all ready to go in the oven? Our zucchini bread was already baking at 350F so we just popped this in alongside it.

The finished product -

Baked version.

Fried version.

We had a little taste test and to my surprise, she preferred the baked ones! We plan to make another - double - batch of baked fritters today since they only lasted through dinner and the next day's lunch. She went to the farm yesterday and picked up another Grandpa sized zucchini. There was also fresh corn this week so we will have the added deliciousness of that instead of frozen corn. I can't wait to share these tasty treats with my coworkers!

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, they look tasty! Can't wait to try them. I can't get my boys to try zucchini so I'm going to have to be sneaky about it!

    Thanks!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've made these three more times already. They're so good! I hope your boys enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do you bake them for? I didn't see a time listed. I can't wait to try these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, sorry about that! We baked them for 25-30 minutes. I watched until the sides and stop started to turn golden brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say the sides and TOP started to turn golden brown.

      Delete