Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What's in the Crockpot Wednesday? Mango Beans

I am not only in love with my crockpot because it lets you make something fantastic while you're not even at home, I am also in love with it because it lets you cook something yummy without further heating up the house when it is 96F outside.

Yes, we're in the middle of the toasty days of summer. So when I saw this recipe for Mango BBQ beans I knew I would not only be modifying it to what I have on hand at home, but would be putting it together in the crock pot.

My version contains:

can of organic black eyed peas

can of conventional kidney beans

can of organic black beans

a bunch of organic green beans picked by my daughter at our CSA farm yesterday, cut into pieces

two yellow CSA onions, chopped

two purple CSA onions, chopped

four cloves CSA garlic, chopped

five cloves CSA garlic, whole

can of organic tomato sauce (I know, I should have used CSA tomatoes. I realized that after I poured the can in.)

Trader Joe's frozen mango halves

a little tap water

a couple of shakes of pumpkin pie spice (we seem to have run out of Allspice and I felt that was as close as I could get)


I plan to add the liquid smoke later. Not sure if I will need any agave, will taste test later in the day.

Can't wait to try it later.

UPDATE:  Added liquid smoke and some Agave/Maple syrup.   Not too great calorie/carb wise, but the beans do taste delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - your pot of beans is bursting with variety! Happy to hear you loved the results. :)

    ReplyDelete